If you feel yourself overwhelmed from time to time by the darkness in the world, be it from current events in the news, or personal struggles, I wanted to offer some encouragement today that might lighten the burden.
The American writer Edith Wharton once wrote, “There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” Even when we find ourselves with so little light to share, the one thing sure to enhance our defense against the darkness is reflecting the light we encounter. When we act as a mirror, amplifying the light, we light the way for others.
In that spirit, here are seven simple ways to cast or reflect light:
- Send a simple, honest compliment out of the blue.
- Give people hope through direct assistance.
- Introduce someone to a helpful resource.
- Provide pathways to free education and hands-on learning.
- Introduce two of your friends who do not know one another yet.
- Include people in efforts for common (or community) good.
- Find opportunities to be a good listener.
The next time you despair, rouse your waning energy to attempt one of these seven small acts. Though they may not solve all of your problems, or reverse the course of the world, they will give you a lift and light your way forward.
All the best, Cindy